Mark Sheldon Conducting Internship
History and Program description
In 2003, after a long battle with cancer, beloved KVOD radio host, St. Martin’s singer and assistant conductor and all-around music educator Mark Sheldon passed away. A legacy was established in his memory to be used in part for educational outreach. The Mark Sheldon Conducting Internship was established to fulfill this part of his legacy.
The conducting internship is one of the few, perhaps the only one of its kind in the US. It provides this unique opportunity for college conducting students to conduct a professional choir on an ongoing basis during a concert season. Potential interns go through an application process and the intern is selected by St. Martin’s Artistic Director, Tim Krueger. The intern is expected to attend all rehearsals, assist in rehearsals and conduct when Mr. Krueger is unavailable. Perhaps most unusually, the intern is also assigned at least one piece to conduct in nearly every concert. The intern is warmly welcomed into the St. Martin’s family and builds a rapport with singers and staff, is encouraged to attend St. Martin’s board meetings and serves on the Education and Outreach committee of the board. With all these duties also comes an internship stipend. The expectations are rigorous, but the rewards are immeasurable (see quotes below.)
2021-2022 Mark Sheldon Conducting Intern
Samuel Sherman is an active conductor, performer, and educator within the Denver, CO region. Holding a Bachelor’s of Music in Vocal Performance from the University of Northern Colorado, Samuel studied under the guidance of Dr. Diane Bolden-Taylor, Dr. Mathilda Velazquez, and Dr. Mary K. Brewer. Samuel has gone on to build a private studio of diverse classical vocalists, pianists, and conductors. Additionally, Samuel has since performed as a vocalist with Opera Steamboat, Opera Classika Europa, The Evans Choir, Calvary Baptist Church Choir, and many more. Within his undergraduate study, Samuel pursued his passion for the podium and began studying choral and orchestral conducting from Dr. Jill Burgett and Dr. Russel Guyver. Now completing his Master of Music degree in Conducting at the Lamont School of Music at the University of Denver, Samuel continues to pursue high-class vocal performance and academic achievement under the direction of Dr. Catherine Sailer and Dr. Nathan Payant.
Within his academic settings, Samuel strives to bring diverse composers and choral selections to the concert stage while challenging modern gender portrayals within the sphere of academic music.
Samuel Sherman recently has been featured in the Vancouver Chamber Choir Conducting Symposium and is the newly appointed Music Director at the United Church of Christ Longmont, an open and affirming congregation.
Past Conducting Interns
- 2021 – 2022 :: Sheila Melendez, University of Denver
- 2020 – 2021 :: Drew Ritchie, University of Denver
- 2019 – 2020 :: Michael Ballard, University of Denver
- 2018 – 2019 :: Blake Nawa’a, University of Denver
- 2017 – 2018 :: Michael Johnson, University of Denver
- 2016 – 2017 :: Ana Spadoni, University of Denver
- 2015 – 2016 :: Matt Stewart, University of Denver
- 2014 – 2015 :: K. James Howe, University of Colorado, Boulder
- 2013 – 2014 :: Brett Kostrzewski, University of Denver
- 2012 – 2013 :: Taylor Martin, University of Denver
- 2011 – 2012 :: Hannah Wunsch, University of Colorado
- 2010 – 2011 :: Adam Kluck, University of Northern Colorado
- 2009 – 2010 :: Brian Stone, University of Colorado
- 2008 – 2009 :: Jill Schroeder, University of Denver
- 2007 – 2008 :: Ace Edewards, University of Denver
- 2006 – 2007 :: Gabrielle Dietrich, University of Colorado
- 2005 – 2006 :: Heather Kohl, University of Denver
The Mark Sheldon conducting internship is ongoing. If you are a conducting graduate student in Colorado, please consider applying for this program. If you are a college choral music professor, or if you know of Colorado conducting students who would be interested, please let them know about this internship.
All inquiries and applications should be directed to St. Martin’s Artistic Director, Tim Krueger.