History and Description
For a number of years, St. Martin’s Chamber Choir has collaborated with college-age students, particularly in ways that focus on vocal or choral music. Since Maestro Tim Krueger is on the faculty at Metropolitan State University of Denver (MSUD), and St. Martin’s singer MB Krueger is the chair of the Choral Music Department there, MSUD was a natural choice for collaborations. St. Martin’s is proud to have an ongoing relationship with MSUD’s outstanding Music Department.
Collaborations have included:
- MSUD conducting competition: Students applied for and were invited to come to a St. Martin’s rehearsal and conduct the choir. From the applicants, two conducting students were chosen and conducted the choir on a piece in a St. Martin’s Christmas concert.
- MSUD’s Women’s Chamber Choir has joined the choir in several St. Martin’s cameo concerts. The MSCD choir performed pieces of their own as well as works where the choirs performed together.
- St. Martin’s Chamber Choir has been invited to join the MSUD Chorale in several of their spring concerts. The response from both groups as well as their audience has been positive and enthusiastic.
- When St. Martin’s Chamber Choir programmed Charles Ives’ “Psalm 90″ Mr. Krueger hired two MSUD percussionists to perform with the choir.
- In recent years, MSUD has auditioned and selected singing interns to join St. Martin’s for a concert. These singing interns rehearse and perform with the choir as a regular member for that concert.
St. Martin’s Chamber Choir continues to seek out ways to engage college and university students and many of the same types of collaborations and several new ones are in the works.